Meatball Banh Miwith carrot slaw / Sriracha mayo
We have featured banh mi in the past, but we wanted to mix things up a bit with this version. Though the flavors are different than traditional Vietnamese banh mi, we kept two of our favorite banh mi toppings - pickled carrots and creamy, spicy aioli.
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Eggs - 1
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 4 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Pork meatballs (ingredients listed separately) - 1 lb
- Baguette - 1 (sub hoagie rolls)
- Carrots - 8 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded to save time)
- Green onions - 1 stalk, white and green parts chopped and combined
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Make meatballs - (Skip if meatballs were made and cooked ahead on Wednesday.) Mix pork, eggs, panko, garlic powder and salt. Form into 1” / 2.5cm meatballs. Place formed meatballs on a sheet pan brushed with some oil and bake at 425F / 218C degrees until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Combine mayonnaise and Sriracha. Add extra Sriracha if you'd like it more spicy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Jalapenos / Carrots - Prep as directed. Carrots can be shredded using a box grater or food processor. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make carrot slaw - Chop green onions. Toss carrots with green onions, vinegar, brown sugar and salt. Let sit for 20 minutes and up to a day to let flavors come together. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Slice meatballs in half.
- Slice baguette open. If you’d like it warm, toast.
- Warm meatballs in the microwave. Toss with a splash of soy sauce (not on ingredients list) if they seem dry.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading Sriracha mayo on baguettes. Top with meatballs, jalapenos and some of the carrot slaw. Serve any remaining carrot slaw on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 30 reviews
Would definitely like to see more on the sandwich than just jalapenos and carrot, but loved how easily this came together. Our jalapeno was crazy spicy so I had to pick it off. Would like another side for this (we had chips).
Loved this! Next time I will quick-pickle additional veggies like radishes and cucumber for the bahn mi.
I made turkey meatballs and it was delicious.
Yummy!! Even the hubby liked it!
Where's the cilantro? :(
I roasted the tofu and mushrooms so not 100% as written but another favorite.