Mushroom and Tofu Banh Mi
with carrot slaw / Sriracha mayo
We have featured banh mi in the past, but we wanted to mix things up a bit with this version. Though the flavors are different than traditional Vietnamese banh mi, we kept two of our favorite banh mi toppings - pickled carrots and creamy, spicy aioli.
- Tofu, extra firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.25cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Mayonnaise - 4 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Mushrooms, shiitake - 8 oz, chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Baguette - 1 (sub hoagie rolls)
- Carrots - 8 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded to save time)
- Green onions - 1 stalk, white and green parts chopped and combined
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.25cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Combine mayonnaise and Sriracha. Add extra Sriracha if you'd like it more spicy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Jalapenos / Carrots - Prep as directed. Carrots can be shredded using a box grater or food processor. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms (if not pre-chopped). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make carrot slaw - Chop green onions. Toss carrots with green onions, vinegar (portion for the slaw), brown sugar and salt. Let sit for 20 minutes and up to a day to let flavors come together. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Toss tofu with cornstarch and some salt and pepper.
- Heat a nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium heat. Add tofu and cook on all sides until starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes total. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Pour soy sauce and vinegar (portion for the banh mi) over top and simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu and mushrooms.
- Slice baguette open. If you’d like it warm, toast.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading Sriracha mayo on baguettes. Top with tofu / mushrooms, jalapenos and some of the carrot slaw. Serve any remaining carrot slaw on the side. Enjoy!
Hubby loved this, but I made several changes based on the reviews. For the slaw, I used soy sauce, powdered ginger, garlic powder, and cilantro. I left out the sugar. I think this needs a side too.0 Helpful
Flavorful but messy and seemed to lack some essential ingredient. Will try again with sliced tofu instead of cubes.0 Helpful
I used peperoncinis instead of jalapenos and it was awesome!0 Helpful
Really simple, really good.0 Helpful
So yummy. I used pickled banana peppers instead of jalapeños and added some arugula. Best way to eat a meatball!0 Helpful
Really easy meal to spice up the week and all plates were empty! Added some garlic powder and lime juice to the mayo from previous Cooksmart recipes.0 Helpful