Meatball Banh Miwith carrot slaw / Sriracha mayo
We have featured banh mi in the past, but we wanted to mix things up a bit with this version. Though the flavors are different than traditional Vietnamese banh mi, we kept two of our favorite banh mi toppings - pickled carrots and creamy, spicy aioli.
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Eggs - 1
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 4 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Pork meatballs (ingredients listed separately) - 1 lb
- Baguette - 1 (sub hoagie rolls)
- Carrots - 8 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded to save time)
- Green onions - 1 stalk, white and green parts chopped and combined
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Make meatballs - (Skip if meatballs were made and cooked ahead on Wednesday.) Mix pork, eggs, panko, garlic powder and salt. Form into 1” / 2.5cm meatballs. Place formed meatballs on a sheet pan brushed with some oil and bake at 425F / 218C degrees until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Combine mayonnaise and Sriracha. Add extra Sriracha if you'd like it more spicy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Jalapenos / Carrots - Prep as directed. Carrots can be shredded using a box grater or food processor. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make carrot slaw - Chop green onions. Toss carrots with green onions, vinegar, brown sugar and salt. Let sit for 20 minutes and up to a day to let flavors come together. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Slice meatballs in half.
- Slice baguette open. If you’d like it warm, toast.
- Warm meatballs in the microwave. Toss with a splash of soy sauce (not on ingredients list) if they seem dry.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading Sriracha mayo on baguettes. Top with meatballs, jalapenos and some of the carrot slaw. Serve any remaining carrot slaw on the side. Enjoy!
I made the vegetarian option and added some hoisin to the tofu/mushroom stirfry and OMG THIS IS THE BEST SANDWICH I HAVE EVER EATEN IN MY LIFE EVER! You must try it.0 Helpful
Added fish sauce, celery, and cucumber to the slaw, and made it a day ahead. The bread really must be purchased same day, or it's too crusty. Yummy!0 Helpful
Always a winner. Love the viet flavours!0 Helpful
So good! Will definitely make again!0 Helpful
Came together really quick when you make the meatballs ahead of time with spaghetti squash.0 Helpful
Had my doubts but overall liked how this came together with a smoky pepper hot sauce on the meatballs and veggies.0 Helpful