with shrimp / sausage / rice
Jambalaya is a Cajun-inspired one-pan dish made of vegetables, sausage, shrimp and rice. Layers of flavor build as the dish cooks, but onions, bell peppers and celery (often called the "holy trinity") get things started.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , diced
- Celery - 3 ribs , diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Sausage, andouille (pre-cooked or smoked) - 8 oz , sliced (this can be spicy, so sub any mild pre-cooked sausage if you prefer)
- Cajun seasoning - 3 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Rice, uncooked white - 1 cup (preferably long grain)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Green onions - 2 stalks , white and green parts chopped and combined
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Shrimp - Defrost shrimp.
- Onions / Bell peppers / Celery / Garlic / Sausage - Prep as directed. Combine onions, bell peppers and celery. Store garlic and sausage in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine Cajun seasoning, thyme and oregano. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and saute until sausage is browned on the outside, ~5 minutes.
- Set sausage aside and return pan (including drippings) to medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers and celery and saute until tender, ~5 minutes. Add rice with garlic, tomato paste and spice mix and saute for 1 minute to coat rice in spices.
- Add sausage back into the pan with tomatoes (including liquid), stock and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover pan and reduce heat to low-medium. Cook, covered until rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While jambalaya cooks, chop green onions (both white and green parts).
- Stir shrimp into jambalaya and put the lid back on. Cook, covered for 5 minutes more, until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Season with some salt, pepper and some hot sauce (if you’d like). Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Top jambalaya with green onions and serve with a spoonful of yogurt. Enjoy!