Spaghetti with Mushroom Ragu
with green salad
Spaghetti with Mushroom Ragu:
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Thyme, fresh - 1 tsp , leaves torn
- Mushrooms, any brown - 1 lb , chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano - 1 tsp
- Tomato sauce (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Red wine - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Pasta, spaghetti or linguini - 8 oz
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz , grated
Green Salad with Roma Tomatoes:
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts , chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 3 , chopped
- Mayonnaise - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Sunflower seeds - 2 Tbsp (sub any nuts)
- Onions / Garlic / Thyme - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms (if not pre-chopped). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until onions are soft, ~4 minutes. Add mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are browned, ~8 minutes. Add garlic, oregano and some salt and pepper. Saute for 1 minute more.
- Add in thyme leaves, tomato sauce, tomato paste, stock, red wine and sugar. Bring to a simmer and allow sauce to simmer for at least 15 minutes but as long as an hour. (The longer the sauce simmers, the more the flavors will develop.) Taste and season with some salt and black pepper.
- When sauce is nearly finished simmering, boil noodles according to package directions.
- While noodles are boiling, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice. Add olive oil while whisking. Add lettuce and tomatoes on top, but wait to toss salad until right before serving.
- Drain noodles and transfer to a serving dish. Spoon ragu over top. Grate parmesan cheese over the finished dish.
- Toss salad and top with sunflower seeds.
- Serve pasta with salad on the side. Enjoy!