Spaghetti with Mushroom Ragu
with green salad
Mushrooms fill in for the classic ground meat in this vegetarian ragu sauce served over pasta with a fresh green salad on the side.
Smarts: The mushrooms in the sauce provide so much umami flavor that you won't even miss the meat!
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Thyme, fresh - 1 tsp, leaves torn
- Mushrooms, any brown - 1 lb, chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano - 1 tsp
- Tomato sauce (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Red wine - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Pasta, spaghetti or linguini - 8 oz
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz, grated
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 3, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Sunflower seeds - 2 Tbsp (sub any nuts)
- Onions / Garlic / Thyme - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms (if not pre-chopped). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until onions are soft, ~4 minutes. Add mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are browned, ~8 minutes. Add garlic, oregano and some salt and pepper. Saute for 1 minute more.
- Add in thyme leaves, tomato sauce, tomato paste, stock, red wine and sugar. Bring to a simmer and allow sauce to simmer for at least 15 minutes but as long as an hour. (The longer the sauce simmers, the more the flavors will develop.) Taste and season with some salt and black pepper.
- When sauce is nearly finished simmering, boil noodles according to package directions.
- While noodles are boiling, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice. Add olive oil while whisking. Add lettuce and tomatoes on top, but wait to toss salad until right before serving.
- Drain noodles and transfer to a serving dish. Spoon ragu over top. Grate parmesan cheese over the finished dish.
- Toss salad and top with sunflower seeds.
- Serve pasta with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Double sauce, paste, seasoning0 Helpful
Was really looking forward to this one after so many rave reviews. I thought it was just OK. Sauce felt under seasoned even after I kicked everything up a bunch.0 Helpful
Made it a few days in advance - loved it0 Helpful
I think next time I’d use tinned chopped tomatoes rather than passata0 Helpful
A particularly outstanding vegetarian ragu.0 Helpful
I added purple cabbage and left out the sugar. Turned out amazing!!0 Helpful