Slow Cooker Vegetable Borscht
beets / carrots / potatoes / kidney beans
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Beets - 12 oz, peeled and chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Cabbage - 6 oz, sliced
- Thyme, fresh - 2 tsp, leaves torn
- Potatoes, russet - 8 oz
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Tomato paste - 4 Tbsp
- Bay leaf - 1
- Beans, kidney (14oz / 397g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Onions / Beets (follow this turnip video) / Carrots / Cabbage / Thyme - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes.
- Slow cook borscht - In the bowl of a slow cooker combine onions, beets, carrots, potatoes, stock, tomato paste and bay leaf. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. (If not using a slow cooker, cook in a Dutch oven. Saute onions in heated oil for ~3 minutes and then add all remaining ingredients except cabbage, beans and yogurt. Bring to a boil and then simmer until vegetables are tender, ~20 minutes.)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Add cabbage, thyme and beans to soup and cook on high until cabbage is tender, another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Taste soup and season with some salt and black pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with a spoonful of yogurt. Enjoy!
I should have added more beets, it was kind of bland, and I would have preferred the vegetarian version but my husband liked it. For me, the prep work (cutting all that stuff) was too much work.1 Helpful
Fantastic! Total Pantry Meal (had beets in freezer) for the win! Adjustments: probably 8 cups of water 12 oz cabbage, 5 oz of beet? did in dutch oven. let cabbage simmer 30 min?0 Helpful
I added a couple of potatoes and celery I had on hand that needed to be used up. It was super good but I think it could have used a lot more beef. 🤷🏻♀️0 Helpful
Mine turned out a bit more tomato coloured than purple, which doesn’t matter to me. Full bodied taste for a soup, yum!0 Helpful
3.5 stars.0 Helpful
I prefer puréed soups, so I blended it after before adding the cabbage and beans. The recipe doesn’t list the amount of oil for the Dutch oven version.0 Helpful
Made it in the instant pot. Hubby wished the meat ratio was higher. Overall it mostly tastes like beef stew. Not sure we’ll make it again, but I love the idea of eating more beets.0 Helpful