Slow Cooker Vegetable Borscht
beets / carrots / potatoes / kidney beans
Slow Cooker Vegetable Borscht:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Beets - 12 oz , peeled and chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Cabbage - 6 oz , sliced
- Thyme, fresh - 2 tsp , leaves torn
- Potatoes, russet - 8 oz
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Tomato paste - 4 Tbsp
- Bay leaf - 1
- Beans, kidney (14oz / 397g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Onions / Beets (follow this turnip video) / Carrots / Cabbage / Thyme - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes.
- Slow cook borscht - In the bowl of a slow cooker combine onions, beets, carrots, potatoes, stock, tomato paste and bay leaf. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. (If not using a slow cooker, cook in a Dutch oven. Saute onions in heated oil for ~3 minutes and then add all remaining ingredients except cabbage, beans and yogurt. Bring to a boil and then simmer until vegetables are tender, ~20 minutes.)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Add cabbage, thyme and beans to soup and cook on high until cabbage is tender, another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Taste soup and season with some salt and black pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with a spoonful of yogurt. Enjoy!