Slow Cooker Beef Borschtwith beets / carrots / potatoes
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Beets - 12 oz, peeled and chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Cabbage - 6 oz, sliced
- Thyme, fresh - 2 tsp, leaves torn
- Beef stew meat - 1 lb, cubed
- Potatoes, russet - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, beef - 4 cups
- Tomato paste - 4 Tbsp
- Bay leaf - 1
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Onions / Beets (follow this turnip video) / Carrots / Cabbage / Thyme - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Beef - Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and black pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes.
- Brown beef - Place a skillet with oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and saute until beef is golden brown on the outside, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Slow cook borscht - In the bowl of a slow cooker combine beef, onions, beets, carrots, potatoes, stock, tomato paste and bay leaf. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. (If not using a slow cooker, cook in a Dutch oven. Saute onions in heated oil for ~3 minutes and then add all remaining ingredients except cabbage and yogurt. Bring to a boil and then simmer until beef is tender, ~30 minutes.)
- Add cabbage and thyme to soup and cook on high until cabbage is tender, another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Taste soup and season with some salt and black pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with a spoonful of yogurt. Enjoy!
Fantastic! Total Pantry Meal (had beets in freezer) for the win! Adjustments: probably 8 cups of water 12 oz cabbage, 5 oz of beet? did in dutch oven. let cabbage simmer 30 min?0 Helpful
I added a couple of potatoes and celery I had on hand that needed to be used up. It was super good but I think it could have used a lot more beef. 🤷🏻♀️0 Helpful
Mine turned out a bit more tomato coloured than purple, which doesn’t matter to me. Full bodied taste for a soup, yum!0 Helpful
3.5 stars.0 Helpful
I prefer puréed soups, so I blended it after before adding the cabbage and beans. The recipe doesn’t list the amount of oil for the Dutch oven version.0 Helpful
Made it in the instant pot. Hubby wished the meat ratio was higher. Overall it mostly tastes like beef stew. Not sure we’ll make it again, but I love the idea of eating more beets.0 Helpful