Slow Cooker Beef Borscht
with beets / carrots / potatoes
This slow cooker soup is packed with vegetables and savoriness and will be perfect for the winter weather. (Originally featured in 2015.)
Slow Cooker Beef Borscht:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Beets - 12 oz , peeled and chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Cabbage - 6 oz , sliced
- Thyme, fresh - 2 tsp , leaves torn
- Beef stew meat - 1 lb , cubed
- Potatoes, russet - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, beef - 4 cups
- Tomato paste - 4 Tbsp
- Bay leaf - 1
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Onions / Beets (follow this turnip video) / Carrots / Cabbage / Thyme - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Beef - Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and black pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes.
- Brown beef - Place a skillet with oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and saute until beef is golden brown on the outside, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Slow cook borscht - In the bowl of a slow cooker combine beef, onions, beets, carrots, potatoes, stock, tomato paste and bay leaf. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. (If not using a slow cooker, cook in a Dutch oven. Saute onions in heated oil for ~3 minutes and then add all remaining ingredients except cabbage and yogurt. Bring to a boil and then simmer until beef is tender, ~30 minutes.)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Add cabbage and thyme to soup and cook on high until cabbage is tender, another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Taste soup and season with some salt and black pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with a spoonful of yogurt. Enjoy!