Tilapia with Mustard-Thyme Cream Sauce
with roasted parsnips / balsamic kale salad
Tilapia with Mustard-Thyme Cream Sauce:
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Tilapia - 4 fillets (sub any white fish)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, any gluten-free - 1 Tbsp (sub almond meal)
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Thyme, fresh - 3 sprigs
- Heavy cream - 1/4 cup
- Parsnips - 1 1/2 lbs , cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Balsamic Kale Salad with Breadcrumbs and Parmesan:
- Cheese, parmesan - 1 oz , shaved into ribbons with a vegetable peeler or grated
- Kale, curly leaf - 6 oz , stems removed and leaves finely chopped
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/3 cup
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Shallots / Cheese / Kale - If prepping before cooking, get the oven heating first. Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Toast breadcrumbs - This step is optional, but will give the breadcrumbs extra flavor. Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add butter (the portion for the salad) and then breadcrumbs to melted butter. Cook, stirring constantly until breadcrumbs are golden brown, ~5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Parsnips - Slice parsnips. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Fish - Rinse fish and pat dry. Season lightly with some salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- When the oven is heated, spread parsnips out on a sheet pan and cover tightly with foil. Steam parsnips in the oven for 10 minutes to get them started cooking. (Watch this video for tips.)
- While parsnips are steaming, in a large serving or mixing bowl, whisk together vinegar and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Pile kale on top and toss to coat in dressing. If you’d like, you can use your hands to “massage” the dressing into the kale leaves. This will yield more tender kale leaves (and messy hands!). Set aside.
- Remove parsnips from the oven and discard foil.
- Turn the oven’s heat down to 375F / 191C.
- Toss parsnips with cooking oil (portion for the parsnips) and season with some salt. Return to oven and continue roasting, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until parsnips are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (portion for the fish) and then fish to heated oil. Sear fish on both sides until golden brown (don’t worry if the fish isn’t cooked all the way through, it will finish in the sauce). Set fish aside and return pan to heat.
- To heated pan add butter (portion for the fish) and shallots. Saute until shallots are soft, ~2 minutes. Stir in flour until no dry spots remain. Add stock and mustard while whisking. Add thyme sprigs. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking until sauce is thick, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour heavy cream into pan and then add fish back to pan. Cover pan with a lid or foil. Simmer fish in sauce until cooked through, ~2 minutes more. Taste and season with some salt, if needed.
- Top kale salad with cheese and breadcrumbs. Enjoy fish with parsnips and kale salad on the side.