Sausage and Bell Pepper Frittata
with winter fruit salad
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Eggs - 6
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Pork breakfast sausage, ground - 12 oz
- Apples, any type - 1, cubed
- Oranges, mandarin - 4, segments (sub canned mandarin oranges, drained and rinsed)
- Kiwis - 4, peeled and sliced
- Pomegranate seeds - 1/3 cup (look for these removed from the pomegranate shells in the produce section)
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Poppy seeds (opt) - 1 tsp
- Bell peppers - Dice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make fruit salad - Prep apples, oranges, kiwis and pomegranate as directed. Whisk together lemon juice, honey, oil (portion for fruit salad) and poppy seeds. Gently toss fruit in dressing. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Eggs - Beat eggs with salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Heat a 10.5” to 12” / 26 cm to 30 cm skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for frittata) and then bell peppers. Saute until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add sausage and cook, breaking apart, until sausage is browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain off oil.
- Pour in eggs. Stir until ingredients are all mixed through and then transfer to the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until eggs are set and inserted knife comes out cleanly.
- Slice frittata.
- Serve frittata with fruit salad on the side. Enjoy!
Tasty and my 13 yr old was able to pull this together while I did Christmas stuff. We used the bagged cubed bread meant for stuffing as a shortcut.0 Helpful
I made this for a big group Christmas breakfast. It was a fantastic brunch item and people raved about. This is my new favorite breakfast casserole. And yes, it took a lot longer to bake until done, so add at least 20 minutes, especially if you make for a crowd. Fruit salad is awesome.0 Helpful
This is the second time I have had this one and I love it! My sister made it for me once and she keeps it as a quick breakfast for a whole week. I put green peppers (personal preference) in mine this past week and it was great. I also recommend maple sausage for a little extra sweetness.0 Helpful
This was a hit. Everyone loved the casserole. We even had enough leftover for breakfast the next day. First time making a fruit salad like this and it turned out wonderful.0 Helpful
We loved it and will make one just to cut up and freeze for an easy breakfast0 Helpful
Used chorizo & was amazing0 Helpful