Black Bean and Leftover Rice Soup
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onion - 1, diced
- Green cabbage - 1/2 head, sliced
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1/3 cup
- Hot sauce - as desired ((I used about 2 tablespoons of Tapatio))
- Vegetable broth - 1 quart
- Leftover rice - 2 cups
- Avocado - 1 to 2, cubed
- Sour cream - for serving on soup
- Heat a >5 quart (4.73 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add in onions with some salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add in cabbage, black beans, tomato paste, hot sauce, and broth with a dash of salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Add in rice and then simmer until cabbage is cooked, another 3 to 5 minutes. Now, taste. Your soup might need some help right now with flavoring. Season to taste with more salt or hot sauce, and if you feel brave, dig into your spice drawer (cumin, coriander, and paprika would all be great candidates) and go for it.
- Cube avocado and top warm soup with avocado, green onions, and sour cream.
We didn't use cabbage at all and it was so delicious! Paired nicely with 30 inches of snow!0 Helpful
I thought the proportions were off--this was really a cabbage soup with some beans, not a black bean soup with some cabbage. I also thought that the base was too onion/garlic heavy. I think that a wider mix of veggies (maybe carrot or more tomatoes?), less cabbage, and another can of beans would make this a more well rounded soup. Also, due to the amount of cabbage and rice, the leftovers of this soup were not very appetizing. The cabbage and rice soaked up all of the broth, so it was sort of a cabbage/rice stew. I used a Mexican chili spice blend to season.0 Helpful
Too much cabbage and not enough beans. Next time I will use two cans of beans. Added Chili Powder, oregano and paprika. Very tasty!0 Helpful
Solid. Ate the leftovers for lunch on several subsequent days. I found myself relying a lot on avocado to round it out, though.0 Helpful
Next time I'd add a bit more flavour. It seemed a little bland but it could have ben something we did or didn't do.0 Helpful
This was really delicious. I added ground turkey, cumin, paprika, chili powder and organic chicken broth. My husband and I really enjoyed this dish.0 Helpful