Black Bean and Leftover Rice Soup
Black Bean and Leftover Rice Soup:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Onion - 1 , diced
- Green cabbage - 1/2 head , sliced
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , rinsed and drained
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1/3 cup
- Hot sauce - as desired ((I used about 2 tablespoons of Tapatio))
- Vegetable broth - 1 quart
- Leftover rice - 2 cups
- Avocado - 1 to 2 , cubed
- Sour cream - for serving on soup
- Heat a >5 quart (4.73 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add in onions with some salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add in cabbage, black beans, tomato paste, hot sauce, and broth with a dash of salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Add in rice and then simmer until cabbage is cooked, another 3 to 5 minutes. Now, taste. Your soup might need some help right now with flavoring. Season to taste with more salt or hot sauce, and if you feel brave, dig into your spice drawer (cumin, coriander, and paprika would all be great candidates) and go for it.
- Cube avocado and top warm soup with avocado, green onions, and sour cream.