Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserolewith herb roasted mushrooms
- Onions, medium red - 1/2, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Broccoli, frozen florets - 10 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked brown rice (leftover from Tuesday) - ~1 1/3 cup
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup
- Cheese, any shredded white blend - 3 oz + 3 oz
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Mushrooms, cremini - 12 oz
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms in half. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Broccoli - Defrost broccoli in the microwave. Drain off any liquid.
- Heat oven to 350F / 177C. Place one oven rack in the upper third of the oven and another in the lower third.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add chicken and saute until chicken is cooked on the outside (don’t worry if it isn’t cooked all the way through), ~3 minutes more.
- Stir in broccoli and garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant, 2 minutes more.
- Remove skillet from the heat and stir in rice, stock, sour cream and first part of cheese. (You can bake the casserole right in the skillet or transfer it to a baking dish if you prefer.) Top with second part of cheese.
- Bake casserole on the lower rack of the oven until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly, 30 minutes.
- While casserole bakes, brush a sheet pan with some oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Toss mushrooms with olive oil, thyme and some salt. Spread out on sheet pan. Roast on the top rack of the oven, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until mushrooms are golden brown and tender, 25 minutes.
- When mushrooms are finished roasting, squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Serve casserole (top with some more sour cream or some hot sauce if you’d like) with mushrooms on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 42 reviews
Even the husband loved it! Win! No mushrooms though because I'm allergic. Will definitely make again.
The kid loved it but neither of us did
What's not to like about mushrooms, broccoli, rice, and cheese? Yummy!
All my favourite foods in one dish-win!
used smoked turkey to kick it up a notch.
Really lacking flavor, had to douse it in hot sauce and ended up sprinkling a little cheese on the left overs. Mushrooms in the casserole would make more sense.