Mini Bagel Pizzasand kale salad with lemon garlic dressing
Who can resist bite-sized bagel pizzas for dinner? This is a fast meal that will be an easy win with the whole family.
Smarts: Pepperoni minis make a fun topping, but feel free to add any other vegetables or meats that you prefer.
- Mini bagels, fresh or frozen - 8 (sub whole bagels, 1 per serving)
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 4 Tbsp
- Tomato sauce - 8 oz
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Cheese, any shredded white blend - 6 oz
- Pepperoni minis (opt) - 3/4 cup (sub full-size pepperoni, chopped)
- Kale, curly leaf - 6 oz, stems removed and leaves finely chopped (sub mixed greens)
- Lemon Garlic Dressing (ingredients listed separately) - 1/3 cup
- Almonds, sliced - 1 oz
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Capers - 1 Tbsp, drained and rinsed
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 4 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Bagels - If using frozen bagels, defrost according to package directions.
- Make dressing - Double if making Wednesday’s salad. Chop garlic and capers. Mix with lemon juice, vinegar, sour cream, mustard and honey. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead and refrigerated)
- Shallots / Kale - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- While oven heats, place a small saucepan with oil over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until shallots are soft, ~2 minutes. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, oregano and basil and stir for 1 minute. Pour stock over top and bring to a simmer. Simmer until sauce reaches a thick, spreadable consistency, ~ 3 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Place bagels, cut-side up on a sheet pan. Transfer to the oven and bake for 3 minutes to crisp the tops.
- Top bagels with sauce, cheese and pepperoni (if using). Return to oven and continue baking until cheese is melted, 10 minutes more.
- While bagels bake, toss kale with dressing until salad is dressed to your liking (remember to reserve half the dressing if doubled). Top with almonds.
- Serve pizza bagels with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Made double dressing the second time we made this because it was so tasty!0 Helpful
The salad was great! Substitute endive it something if you hate kale, though, as it's a very strong taste. I accentually threw a bunch of shallots into the dressing, but it was a yummy mistake. For the Paleo version, the pork tenderloin was weird (soggy from being baked in broth), and the tomato sauce was like eating marinara on pork. Not my favorite. Wish I'd made the little pizzas instead!0 Helpful
I loved this for a quick and easy meal!0 Helpful
I loved this, my kids are tiny tyrants who apparently can't tolerate the idea of pizzas made with bagels. The bagels also got a little soggy, not sure if that's avoidable.0 Helpful
These were quick, easy, and really delicious! My husband loved them as well and the mini bagels were the perfect size for my 19 month old!0 Helpful
Salad was great. We added to a premade sauce. The bagel pizzas reminded me of the frozen French bread pizza but tastier.0 Helpful