Mini Bagel Pizzas
and kale salad with lemon garlic dressing
- Mini bagels, fresh or frozen - 8 (sub whole bagels, 1 per serving)
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Tomato sauce - 10 oz
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Cheese, shredded mozzarella - 6 oz
- Pepperoni minis (opt) - 3/4 cup (sub full-size pepperoni, chopped)
- Kale, curly leaf - 6 oz , stems removed and leaves finely chopped (sub mixed greens)
- Lemon Garlic Dressing (ingredients listed separately) - 1/3 cup
- Almonds, sliced - 1 oz
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Capers - 1 Tbsp , drained and rinsed
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 2 Tbsp (sub yogurt)
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
Bagels - If using frozen bagels, defrost according to package directions.
Make dressing - Double if making Wednesday’s salad. Chop garlic and capers. Mix with lemon juice, vinegar, sour cream, mustard and honey. (Note: For a very smooth vinaigrette, you can blend everything together with an immersion blender, adding water if needed to thin.) Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead and refrigerated)
Make sauce - Stir together shallots, tomato paste, tomato sauce, oregano, sugar and some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
Place bagels, cut-side up on a sheet pan. Transfer to the oven and bake for 3 minutes to crisp the tops.
Top bagels with sauce, cheese and pepperoni (if using). Return to oven and continue baking until cheese is melted, 10 minutes more.
While bagels bake, toss kale with dressing until salad is dressed to your liking (remember to reserve half the dressing if doubled). Top with almonds.
Serve pizza bagels with salad on the side. Enjoy!