with braised apples and cabbage / buttered egg noodles
Breaded pork cutlets and buttered noodles are comforting and classic. Braised apples and cabbage add tart and sweet flavors to this colorful meal.
- Sour cream - 1/3 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Pork tenderloin - 1 lb , sliced at a bias
- Lemons - 1/2 , wedges
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Milk - 2 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
Braised Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Apples:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Cabbage, red - 16 oz , thinly sliced
- Apples, any type - 1 , diced
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Noodles, egg - 8 oz (sub any fun pasta shape)
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Noodles - Boil noodles according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Cabbage - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make creamy Dijon sauce - Whisk together sour cream, lemon juice and mustard. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Pork - Slice into 3/4” / 1.9cm thick cutlets. Place each cutlet between two pieces of plastic wrap or parchment paper and pound with a tenderizer until roughly half as thick, like this video for chicken. Season on both sides with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Apples / Lemons - Prep as directed. (You can leave the skin on the apples.)
- Prep breading stations - Put flour into one container or plate. In another container, whisk eggs and milk with some salt and pepper. In a third container or plate, combine breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Cook cabbage by heating a saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter (portion for the cabbage) and then garlic and apples to melted butter. Saute for ~2 minutes before adding cabbage with a pinch of salt. Saute for another 14 to 16 minutes, until cabbage is tender.
- While cabbage is cooking dip each pork cutlet into flour, then egg mixture and finally breadcrumb mixture. Repeat until all cutlets are breaded.
- Heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add oil and then cutlets to heated oil (do this in batches and / or add some additional oil as needed). Cook for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes on each side, transferring to a plate when cooked through.
- If noodles were made ahead, reheat in the microwave and toss with butter (portion for the noodles). Season with some salt.
- Stir vinegar and maple syrup into finished cabbage and season with some salt.
- Serve pork with noodles, cabbage and creamy Dijon sauce. Squeeze lemon wedges over everything. Enjoy!