Oven Roasted Sausage, Cauliflower and Butternut Squash
with spinach salad
Roasting vegetables and sausage together on a sheet pan help the flavors to come together as they caramelize in the oven. Serve them with green salsa which is a good savory / spicy balance to the natural sweet notes of the roasted elements.
Smarts: Any pre-cooked sausage will work here, but we like the way that the sweetness of chicken apple sausage complements the vegetables.
- Cauliflower, medium - 1 head, florets
- Squash, butternut, large - 1 1/2 lbs, peeled and cubed
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Sausage, any cooked variety - 16 oz, sliced (try chicken-apple sausage or a mild Italian variety)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Salsa, green - 1/4 cup (mild, medium or hot; depending on your spice preference)
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Oranges - 2, segments / supremed
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C degrees.
- Spread cauliflower, onions and butternut squash out onto a sheet pans (use two sheet pans if it won’t easily fit) and cover tightly with foil. ‘Steam’ for 8 minutes in the oven.
- Remove foil and add sausage. Toss with cooking oil. And season with some salt and pepper. Return to oven and continue roasting until vegetables and sausage are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes more.
- While vegetables and sausage roast, whisk together vinegar, mustard and maple syrup. Add olive oil while whisking. Slice oranges into segments.
- Just before serving, toss oranges and baby spinach with half the vinaigrette. Add additional vinaigrette until salad is dressed to your liking.
- Serve roasted sausage and vegetables with green salsa for topping / dipping. Enjoy salad on the side!
Made a LOT of food. The sausage was the best part. Put it under the broiler when reheating to get some crispiness back. Squash could have been roasted longer.0 Helpful
Would maybe add a little something more to the fillings in terms of spices, but this was decent0 Helpful
Maybe add cumin to the filling? Need a little more flavorful.0 Helpful
I loved the veg quesadillas. I wish the salad had one additional element. It was a little plain0 Helpful
Made these as tostadas and they were super yum! I think goat cheese (while being bougie) would be better than Mexican blend.0 Helpful
Used arugula in the salad, and skipped the orange (had a lot of caramelized onions there instead).0 Helpful