Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Quesadillas
with spinach salad
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Butternut squash, frozen cubes - 8 oz, defrosted
- Tortillas, gluten-free corn and taco-sized - 8
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 6 oz
- Salsa, green - 1/4 cup (mild, medium or hot; depending on your spice preference)
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Oranges - 2, segments / supremed
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Onions - Dice onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Caramelize onions - Heat a saute pan or skillet over high heat. Add cooking oil, butter, onions and a sprinkle of salt and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until onions are translucent and starting to brown. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 more minutes until onions are deeply browned and sweet. If the pan ever looks too dry, just add a splash of water. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard and maple syrup. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Oranges - Segment / supreme oranges.
- Defrost butternut squash in the microwave. Mash squash with a fork and season with salt and black pepper.
- Heat a nonstick pan or griddle over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan (you can cook several at once if your griddle has enough room). Top it with butternut squash, onions, cheese and then another tortilla.
- When the tortilla on the bottom is golden brown and crisp, flip the quesadilla and cook on the other side until the cheese is melted. Continue with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Just before serving, toss oranges and baby spinach with half the vinaigrette. Add additional vinaigrette until salad is dressed to your liking.
- Slice quesadillas and serve with green salsa for dipping. Enjoy with salad on the side.
Made a LOT of food. The sausage was the best part. Put it under the broiler when reheating to get some crispiness back. Squash could have been roasted longer.0 Helpful
Would maybe add a little something more to the fillings in terms of spices, but this was decent0 Helpful
Maybe add cumin to the filling? Need a little more flavorful.0 Helpful
I loved the veg quesadillas. I wish the salad had one additional element. It was a little plain0 Helpful
Made these as tostadas and they were super yum! I think goat cheese (while being bougie) would be better than Mexican blend.0 Helpful
Used arugula in the salad, and skipped the orange (had a lot of caramelized onions there instead).0 Helpful