Pan Roasted Chicken and Brussels Sprouts
with lemon-aminos-balsamic marinade
The flavorful and versatile marinade in this recipe made the entire one pan dish a big hit when it was first featured in a meal plan in December 2014. It's a great fit for colder weather, so we wanted to bring it back this year!
Pan Roasted Chicken and Brussels Sprouts:
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 4
- Lemon-Aminos-Balsamic Marinade (ingredients listed separately) - 3 Tbsp + 3 Tbsp
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb , trimmed and halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Lemons, juice of - 1/2
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Lemons, zest and juice of - 1/2
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Make marinade - Chop garlic and zest lemon. Combine with lemon juice, aminos, balsamic vinegar, paprika, hot sauce and oil (portion for the marinade). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Pour first part of marinade over chicken and tenderize with a fork. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Brussels sprouts - Trim the ends and halve. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Toss brussels sprouts with second part of marinade.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for the chicken) and then chicken thighs to heated oil. Sear for ~4 minutes on each side, until golden brown but not cooked all the way through. Set chicken aside.
- To heated pan add brussel sprouts, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Saute for 2 minutes. Place chicken on top of brussel sprouts and pour stock into skillet.
- Transfer to oven and cook for another 20 to 25 minutes, until brussels sprouts are tender and chicken has reached 165F / 74C degrees.
- While chicken roasts, chop cilantro.
- When chicken is finished, top with cilantro and lemon juice. Enjoy!