Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
with green salsa / corn / toasted tortilla strips
We have several versions of chili in the Cook Smarts archives, but this is our first white chili. A blend of spices and the addition of green salsa give this chili a flavor that is different than traditional tomato-based versions.
Smarts: White chili is often less thick than its tomato-based counterpart. To help thicken the chili, we add concentrated cream of chicken soup and some cornmeal, but feel free to skip either one these if you'd prefer (the result will be more like soup than chili).
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, diced
- Chicken, ground - 1 lb (sub ground turkey)
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Tortillas, gluten-free corn and taco-sized - 3, sliced into thin strips
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Corn, frozen or canned - 1 1/2 cups
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Green salsa / Salsa verde - 1/3 cup (mild, medium or hot; depending on your spice preference)
- Cream of chicken soup (10 oz / 283 g) - 1 can (optional)
- Cornmeal - 3 Tbsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 2 oz
- Sour cream - for serving
- Garlic / Jalapenos - Prep as directed and combine. Remove seeds from jalapenos if you prefer a less spicy chili. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season chicken - Combine chicken with garlic, jalapenos, cumin, oregano, chili powder and salt. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bake tortilla strips - Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Slice tortillas into thin strips, ~3” / 7.6cm. Toss with some oil and spread on a sheet pan. Season with some salt and black pepper. Bake, shaking the pan halfway through, until tortillas are crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Slow cook chili - Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until brown, 5 to 7 minutes. In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine chicken, corn (drain first if using canned), stock, salsa, cream of chicken soup, beans and cornmeal. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 to let the flavors come together.
- Limes / Avocados / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- When chili is finished, taste and season with some salt and pepper. You can add some hot sauce if you’d like. (Note: If you would like the base of the chili to be thicker / creamier, you can blend a small amount of it with an immersion blender.)
- Set out toppings - tortilla strips, lime wedges, avocados, cilantro, cheese and sour cream.
- Ladle chili into bowls and let everyone finish their bowls with toppings. Enjoy!
Super easy! It felt like a corn chowder not a chili but doesn't matter what I call it, I really liked it!!0 Helpful
We’ve been making lots of chilis lately and this was a nice alternative.0 Helpful
Didn't bother with the tortillas or the cilantro. This was delicious. The three of us loved it the first time and the leftovers were just as good. I made cornbread on the side.0 Helpful
Delicious!! Was a favorite at the neighborhood Halloween party. The crispy tortilla strips were a nice touch.0 Helpful
used ground turkey instead of chicken0 Helpful
Pretty tasty! Probably should have doubled the spices. Made some corn bread on the side too. Easy enough to throw in the crock pot at lunch and come home to dinner!0 Helpful