Taco-Stuffed Bell Peppers with Ground Beef
and Mexican side salad
These paleo-friendly peppers have all the flavors of tacos from seasoned ground beef, black olives and salsa.
Smarts: Stuffed peppers can take a long time to cook, so we expedite the process by softening the peppers in the microwave.
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Beef, ground and lean - 1 1/2 lbs
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Black olives, sliced (2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Bell peppers, medium - 4, halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Salsa - 1/3 cup
- Lettuce, romaine - 4 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 2, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Jalapenos / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Green onions - Prep as directed and store separately.
- Beef - Combine beef with jalapenos, garlic, salt, cumin, smoked paprika and black pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Olives - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Slice bell peppers in half from stem to base. Discard seeds. Place pepper halves in a microwave safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high just until peppers are starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add white parts of green onions and saute until soft, ~1 minute. Add beef and saute until beef is cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes more.
- Brush a baking dish or on a sheet pan with some oil. Place bell pepper halves, cut-side up in prepared dish. Spoon beef filling into pepper halves.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together and the peppers continue to soften.
- While peppers cook, whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey and paprika in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil while whisking. Top with lettuce and tomatoes. Wait to toss the salad until right before serving.
- Serve stuffed peppers with salsa, olives and green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy with salad.
I added some taco-seasoned ground beef. This made for an incredibly overloaded pizza! Had to eat with knife and fork. My crust was a little floppy in the center, probably should have cooked a tiny bit longer. Overall I really liked it!0 Helpful
Felt kind of bland. Maybe I needed more seasoning in the refried beans.0 Helpful
just borderline meh, almost tasty0 Helpful
Not very flavorful, and actually took a fairly long time to assemble.0 Helpful
I had to cook this for a lot of extra time to get it baked, but that's probably because I just couldn't get the crust to stretch thin enough. The pre-toppings bake definitely helped crisp up the bottom of the crust though, it just took a longer time than recorded to cook through. Very yummy in the end though.0 Helpful
The kids enjoyed this, but hubby just thought it was OK, even though I had added seasoned meat to make it more taco-like.0 Helpful