Taco-Stuffed Bell Peppers with Ground Beef
and Mexican side salad
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Green onions - 3 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Beef, ground and lean - 1 1/2 lbs
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Black olives, sliced (2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Bell peppers, medium - 4 , halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Salsa - 1/3 cup
- Lettuce, romaine - 4 oz , chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 2 , chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
Jalapenos / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Lettuce / Tomatoes / Green onions - Prep as directed and store separately.
Beef - Combine beef with jalapenos, garlic, salt, cumin, smoked paprika and black pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Olives - Drain and rinse.
Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
Slice bell peppers in half from stem to base. Discard seeds. Place pepper halves in a microwave safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high just until peppers are starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add white parts of green onions and saute until soft, ~1 minute. Add beef and saute until beef is cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes more.
Brush a baking dish or on a sheet pan with some oil. Place bell pepper halves, cut-side up in prepared dish. Spoon beef filling into pepper halves.
Bake uncovered for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together and the peppers continue to soften.
While peppers cook, whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey and paprika in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil while whisking. Top with lettuce and tomatoes. Wait to toss the salad until right before serving.
Serve stuffed peppers with salsa, olives and green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy with salad.