Roasted Portobello, Bacon, Chard and Fried Egg Stackers
with pita / hummus
These fun, nutritious "stackers" got such good reviews from our community when they were published as a paleo recipe in 2015 that we wanted to bring them back for all diet versions. Pita wedges on the side are great for dipping in hummus or soaking up egg yolk from fried eggs.
Roasted Portobello, Bacon, Chard and Egg Stackers:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch , leaves torn, stems chopped
- Bacon - 6 slices , chopped
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4 , stems removed
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , sliced
- Thyme, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
Pita and Hummus:
- Pita bread - 4 rounds (sub naan or any flatbread)
- Hummus, any type - 4 oz
- Garlic / Chard / Bacon - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Portobellos - Remove stems and scrape out the gills. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pita - Slice into wedges. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice into 1/2” (1.25 cm) thick pieces.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Place portobellos onto a sheet pan and brush mushrooms with some oil. Sprinkle with thyme and some salt and pepper. Transfer to oven and roast for 12 to 15 minutes.
- While mushrooms are roasting, heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain all but ~1 Tbsp / 15 mL of fat (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) from the pan. Add garlic to bacon. Once you can smell the garlic, add chard stems and saute for ~3 minutes. Fold in chard leaves. Saute until leaves are softened. Finish with vinegar and season to taste with some salt and pepper. Set bacon and chard aside.
- Wipe pan and return to medium heat. Add cooking oil and then crack eggs into the heated oil. Fry for ~3 minutes and then lower heat and cover with a lid and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes depending on level of yolk done-ness desired.
- If you’d like the pita warm, add it to the pan with the mushrooms (or use a separate pan) in the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking.
- Once mushrooms are done roasting, layer with tomato, chard and bacon and top with fried egg. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper (and top with any other desired condiment). Serve pita wedges and hummus on the side. Enjoy!