Sweet Chicken and Green Bean Stir-Fry
I dedicate this meal to my dad whose secret is to always add a bit of ketchup to his stir-fries for an extra layer of sweetness. Give it a try, and you'll never go back! (For the rice, you'll make a bit extra for tomorrow night's dinner)
Rice (3 cups):
- Rice - 3 cups , white or brown
Sweet Chicken and Green Bean Stir-Fry:
- Chicken breasts - 1 1/2 lbs , cubed
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Ketchup - 2 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 2 tsp
- Corn starch - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2 , juice of
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper and then tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Green beans - Prep as directed. Green bean trimming is a perfect activity for kids to do with scissors. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Mix together soy sauce, ketchup, rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) corn starch, and 1/2 cup (118 ml) of water.
- Rice - If using white rice, rinse until water runs clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven with rice and 2:1 ratio of water to rice. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Toss chicken with 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of corn starch. Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs. (14.8ml) cooking oil and then add chicken to heated oil. Saute for about 3 to 5 minutes, until the exterior is nice and golden. Remove and set aside (the chicken doesn't have to be cooked through at this point).
- Return wok to heat, and add remaining tablespoon of cooking oil. Add garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add in green beans with a dash of salt. Stir-fry for about 1 minute and then return chicken back to wok. Make a donut in the middle of your wok, and then pour in stir-fry sauce. When it starts to bubble and thicken, toss everything together. Cook until chicken is done (just slice into a cube to check). Add in a squeeze of lemon juice and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm over rice (reserve 2 cups (472 ml) for tomorrow night's dinner though!).